Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that can be generated in your home without even knowing. It’s odourless and tasteless which is why it’s so hard to detect. Although carbon monoxide detectors are standard in most homes, it’s still important to recognise the sings of CO leaks in case your detector is faulty.
Inspect the High-risk Areas
Make sure all appliances in your home are well ventilated. Using appliances in an enclosed space can lead to dangerous emissions. For example, an idling car can fill up your garage with carbon monoxide, which can rapidly spread to your home.
People affected by CO generally show flu-like symptoms, or indigestion, headache, nausea, and light headedness. If everyone in the household has similar symptoms and starts to feel better away from home, this is a strong indication that your house may contain carbon monoxide.
Look Around Your Home
A stale, stuffy smell in a clean home is a warning sign. Another indicator is a burning smell. The smell may not be carbon monoxide itself, but from other toxic gases being emitted by malfunctioning equipment.
If you see are witnessing any of the warning signs and your house hold is unwell, you should seek medical attention. A blood test can confirm or negate the presence of carbon monoxide in your body. Consult your fuel supplier for an inspection of in house appliances. This will help detect anything that’s been leaking.
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!